Gadgets gas detector

Published on January 8th, 2013 | by Randomguru

0

Researching Fixed Gas Detectors and their Uses

I’m currently researching fixed gas detectors.

A fixed gas detector is a device that detects the presence of various gases within a given area. And one of its primary uses is to detect the presence of flammable gases like propane, or a deadly gas like carbon monoxide.

Propane: is an extremely flammable gas that must be handled with absolute care. It is a heavy gas and can accumulate in low lying areas such as basements and floors, resulting in an explosion. Even when contained in cylinders, propane gas can build up pressure when exposed to extreme heat and can rupture the tank and explode.

The problem with propane?

It’s a colorless, oderless gas that can not be detected by our five senses alone, so we need devices like the fixed gas detector to prevent an accidental explosion from occurring in the home.

Propane Explosions

Statistics online are inconsistent, as one source might say that hundreds (if not thousands) of propane accidents occur each year. Another source will say only 20 propane accidents happen per year. But, sometimes it’s best to err on the side of caution because accidents can happen.

On December 11, 2012, ESPN anchor Hanna Storm sustained second degree burns to her face, hands and upper body in a propane gas grill accident. Despite this tragic accident, Hanna Storm was able to recover enough that she was able to co-host the Pasadena Rose Parade on New Year’s Day. Though half her hair was burned off, she was able to have eyebrows painted in and hair extensions. She wore a white scarf around her neck to hide the scars.

Though Hanna Storm turned off the propane and waited a bit before trying to re-ignite the gas grill, her effort to re-ignite the gas grill caused an explosion and a wall of fire that overwhelmed her. It could’ve been worse, but I’m so happy for her that she was able to recover.

I had a similar incident when I thought I had turned on the gas stove in my kitchen to boil some water, then walked away for a few minutes. I did smell some gas coming from the kitchen, ran to the stove and quickly turned it off. But because I didn’t have any means to detect if the gas had fully dissipated. So, I opened all the windows and waited several hours before using the stove again. And it probably was far too long a wait, but I just didn’t want to take any chances.

A gas detector would be an excellent addition to any kitchen that uses a gas stove.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Even throughout the home, a fixed gas detector can detect the presence of carbon monoxide. Supposedly, approximately 500 deaths a year occur in the United States due to carbon monized poisoning. That is a very low statistic but an estimated 15,000 incidents of carbon monoxide poisoning occurs each year.

I’ve never owned a gas detector before, but it might be a good idea to look into buying one. It might set me back $50 or so, but it’s worth the effort to try and make the home a safer place to live.

Tags: , , , ,


About the Author

is a Musician, Pianist, Drummer, Recording Artist, and Producer. Follow Randomguru on Twitter @randomguru



Back to Top ↑