A Note About This Recipe
This is the Vegan version of the Baked Macaroni Recipe (Non-Vegan), but this time I use Rigatoni, a much bigger, tubular pasta.
If you try this one let me know what you think, as this is the first time I tried a Vegan version of this recipe.
Total Time: 1 to 1.5 Hours
- 1 lb. Organic Rigatoni (large-sized) – cooked al dente
- 1 can ~ Organic Pasta Sauce
- 2 tbsp ~ Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 cup ~ Organic White Vinegar
- 1/4 cup ~ Organic Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup ~ Organic Heinz Ketchup
- 1 Package ~ Beyond Beef: Beefy Crumbles
- 1/2 stick ~ Vegan Butter
- 1 1/2 cup ~ Organic Almond Milk – plain, unsweetenede
- 2 tbsp ~ Organic Flour
- 1/2 cup ~ Grated Vegan Parmesan Cheese or Vegan Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 cup ~ Grated Vegan Cheddar Cheese (orange or white)
Boil the Pasta
- Fill a large pot with about 3-4 quarts of water.
- When the water is boiling, add the pasta with a little olive oil and salt.
- Stir occasionally.
- Let it boil for about 10-12 minutes, until al dente.
Sauté the Pasta Sauce
- Heat up a skillet or sauce pan on medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the oil.
- Add the Beyond Beef ‘Beefy Crumbles’ and sauté until well done.
- Add the Pasta Sauce, vinegar, ketchup and brown sugar.
- Stir for another 5-10 minutes on very low heat.
Make the Cheese Sauce
- Place all the cheese sauce ingredients in a blender.
- Blend on slow for about 1-2 minutes.
- Then place the blended cheese sauce in a small sauce pan.
- Cook over low heat until thick.
- Mix the Pasta and Pasta Sauce in a 10×14 inch baking dish or lasagna pan.
- Pour the Vegan Cheese Sauce on top.
- Sprinkle more vegan cheese on top, making sure the Pasta and Pasta Sauce is completely covered.
- Place into an oven, preheated at 375 degrees.
- Bake until bubbly and the top layer is golden brown. This typically takes about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Buy two bags of grated vegan cheddar cheese. One bag could be white cheddar and the other orange cheddar. This is to sprinkle more cheese on top, just in case there are uneven spots or in the event there is not enough cheese sauce.
- A 10″x14″ Baking Pan is ideal, but I now recommend a 12.5″ Cast Iron Skillet. Mine is made by Lodge and is available at Walmart or Target. Check for availability.
- Check back. More tips to come…