The Blendtec Total Blender and My Goto Smoothie
I’ll stop short of proclaiming myself a Smoothie King, but I have to say I’ve been drinking and making smoothies for a long, long time now.
I even remember having smoothies back in junior and senior year of high school in the 1970s. Now that’s a long time ago. Well, I used to go to Jimbo’s in Pacific Beach when it was just a little Mom and Pop Health Food Stand. And I would buy a vegetarian Pita Sandwich (with lettuce, avocado, sprouts) and a Chocolate Smoothie. I still remember how healthy and natural it tasted. Good stuff.
But, yes since the early 2000’s I’d been making smoothies daily at home, and I had my old Krups blender to make them. And now my oldest son has gone vegan and is making smoothies in the morning, and now my wife has jumped on the smoothie bandwagon.
Anyway, we received our brand new Blendtec Total Blender this past Thursday via Amazon. We took advantage of Prime Day and saved $163 on a $400 blender. Yes, Blendtec (and Vitamix) are the supreme ultra-expensive blenders out there, but if you’re blending smoothies daily and have other family members doing the same, it’s time to step up to a more industrial-strength, quality blender!
See also: The Blendtec Blog
16 Smoothies So Far
Blendtec is great in that it counts the number of times you’ve used it, and being that we’ve been making smoothies only since Thursday, we are up to 16 already.
I’m using the same basic Raw Cacao Smoothie recipe with the Blendtec, and so far the differences are noticeable:
1. A Quality Blend – The Blendtec does a much better job than my old Krups, and it came out much thicker with a more fully blended beverage.
2. Blends Fast! – I have to say that it took forever to blend smoothies on the old Krups, and it seems like the Blendtec does the job at 1/3 of the time!
3. Lighter Jar – The Blendtec jar is made of quality plastic, so it’s much lighter than the old Krups blender which was made of thick glass!
4. Fits Under the Kitchen Cabinets – We were considering a Vitamix but the fact that you can’t fit it underneath the kitchen cabinets because they’re too tall, well that was a deal breaker, along with the price tag.
5. One Touch Buttons – There’s a smoothie button and the Blendtec will adjust its speed and torque to the ingredients being blended, but the Blendtec blended so quickly that I never would finish the cycle. The ingredients would sufficiently be blended fully with 35 seconds to go!
6. Overall Aesthetics – We made the right decision going with a Blendtec, as the look, feel and aesthetics fits our ideals for a great quality blender. It’s a very beautifully designed blender!
The Skinny on Smoothies
My Current Goto Smoothie
- 3/4 Cup – Califia Farms Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 2 each – Medium-Size Bananas
- 1 Tbsp – Raw Cacao Powder
- 1 Scoop – Sun Warrior Raw Protein Powder – Natural
- 1 Tsp – Maca Powder
- 1 Tsp – Chia Seeds
- 1 Tsp – Ground Flax Seeds
- 10-12 each – Fresh Organic Blueberries
- 12-14 each – Ice Cubes (from purified water)
- First, add almond milk to blender jar.
- Add the 2 bananas.
- Add the powders.
- Lastly, add the ice cubes.
- Blend until smooth consistency and ice cubes are thoroughly crushed.