Day Five of the Fast
At day 5 I’ve realized a few things related to this fast:
- 1. I can do it.
- 2. After the third day I was realizing that it wasn’t so hard going on an extended fast (to me an extended fast is more than 3 days).
- 3. Separating cravings vs hunger.
- 4. Not really feeling like eating at all.
The Spiritual Side of Fasting
On a body and mind level, fasting rejuvenates your being. It makes one realize (especially one who’s always craving food like me) that the body doesn’t need to indulge and overeat (like most Americans tend to do because of our fast food and dining culture).
And one now (or once again) becomes sensitive to what is going into one’s body. About smaller portions. About chewing slowly and thoroughly.
Fasting and Religion
Fasting has been documented countless times in various religious texts. It’s mentioned many times in the bible, and Jesus fast 40 days and 40 nights in the desert, Moses fasting 40 days and 40 nights up on the Holy Mountain.
Buddhists and Hindus and Muslims observe fasts in their religious practices. If not they should because it’s documented in their texts.
It is not uncommon for religious practitioners to fast one day per week.
My Thoughts and Feelings
Fasting is a Yogic Discipline….
You’d think I’d be lying down all the time because I have no energy, but I am up and about doing various chores around the house. I am just in this sedate, calm sort of mood.
And I have no true hunger for food.
Though, I confess to having the most insane cravings right now. Perhaps it’s the devil tempting me? Who knows.
But here’s what I’ve been craving in the last 24 hours:
- 1. All sorts of fast foods… McDonald’s burgers, fries… practically anything from a fast food restaurant. Perhaps these are latent, deeper cravings surfacing from a distant past? When I WAS eating without any discipline?
- 2. Funny. I cooked bacon, eggs and rice for my son. And no cravings whatsoever to eat them. Matter of fact, I commend myself on being able to still cook and prepare food and not eat any of it!
- 3. I am craving chocolate in whatever form. Like chocolate ice cream, raw cacao smoothies, candies, and the like. Blame it on that article I wrote a few days ago about SugarStand.com, a place where you can buy all sorts of candies and chocolates in bulk!
It’s interesting that I’m not craving all the healthy fruits and vegetables. Although when I do see them around the house, I’m craving those as well. But, I’m not really hungry for them. I guess, my mind is realizing the difference between cravings and true hunger.
Anyway, the 5th day seems to be going well. I don’t feel hungry. I feel slightly weak. But, I’m up and about doing chores and playing piano. I feel very relaxed and sedated. Like I’m on some sort of natural valium!
Wish me luck, because later on today I have to go to a party!