Extracting HDTV Out of Thin Air!
HDTV is now broadcast in 100% HD quality through the air, and it is now possible to buy an HDTV digital antenna to capture these OTA signals.
Antennas have come a long way since the old days of snowy TV reception and rabbit ears. And many people don’t know this, but you can get the main broadcast networks for FREE with a digital antenna. HDTV is available over the airwaves.
Digital Antennas are becoming the new solution for watching your favorite TV shows on the major television networks, without the need for a cable subscription. In this article I cover my personal experiences with cutting the cord and accessing the main broadcast channels from the air waves.
If you seldom watch cable television and premium channels, then an over-the-air HDTV digital antenna is probably right for you, and you can cancel that cable tv subscription and save yourself some hard-earned money.
Some terminology to become familiar with.
- Cord-Cutter: An individual who unsubscribes from his/her cable tv service.
- Cord-Never: An individual who has never subscribed to a cable tv service, and more likely to seek out alternative means to watch television. This term typically refers to Millenials who never caught on to cable tv and instead stream their entertainment.
- Streaming: Watching and downloading tv shows, movies and other audio/video entertainment through broadband internet, as opposed to watching live via a cable tv subscription.
- OTA TV: Broadcast television that is FREE and accessible with a digital antenna.
If saving money is a big priority in your life, you might save quite a bit by canceling cable and investing in a decent digital antenna. And if you are trying to live a more frugal lifestyle, canceling the cable is the way to go.
Getting Rid of Cable TV
Beginning in 2015, the family and I officially cut the cord. We stopped our cable subscription.
The main reasons:
- As longtime cable subscribers, our cable bill kept creeping up every 6 months or so. Until we were paying $155 a month for basic cable and broadband internet!
- We wanted to cut expenses and live more frugally.
- We simply don’t watch as much television as we used to.
You must log in to post a comment.