The following is a collection of random thoughts regarding the nature of the Internet and our place in “online” reality.
Aphorism #1. I think many of us are missing the point. The realm of cyber-reality is quite intricate and amazing. We take so much for granted because we expect more, perhaps. But, the Web is quite vast and interconnected. If one part of the internet crashes down, most of the time the data packets of information will get to us in speedy fashion.
Aphorism #2. The internet might not be the “real world” for us, so we might think, but the reality is that it’s becoming more of a reality than we could’ve imagined. We do so many things online now, it has transformed the “offline world” for better AND for worse. And in the worst case scenario? A lot of jobs have been lost because of our new online way of life.
Aphorism #3. The World Wide Web is very similar to the Wild Wild West…
Aphorism #4. It’s not that the online realm will take the place of the offline realm. Nor will it be that the offline realm will always be the true reality. The truth is, both realms are in a process of merging. A couple of realities that perfectly illustrate this truth.
- Cyber Crime and Cyber Terrorism is a new reality and a real threat to our security.
- We can close businesses with the click of a mouse on Yelp.com. Or make them become a big hit.
- Cyberbullying is a reality, and many young innocent people have committed suicide because of it.
- People can book plane flights online and select the exact seat they want on the plane. They can book entire vacation packages online.
- The Internet, Email, Text Messaging is slowly sucking the life out of the United States Postal Service.
- Hackers can steal your identity, infiltrate government computer systems, take down a website, and wreak havoc on the unprotected computer.
- On a brighter note, digital enlightenment could become a reality…
- People find other people online, making new friendships offline, and get married.
Aphorism #5. So much love and hate can be spread online. So much war can now be waged in cyberspace.
Aphorism #6. There are no more boundaries in cyberspace.
Aphorism #7. We have to be as responsible online as we have to be offline.
Aphorism #8. The Matrix has you!