A Special Tribute to My Father-in-Law
Today, I pay special tribute to my father-in-law, who passed away on June 3rd, 2008. He was diagnosed in January 2008 with Pancreatic Cancer. Today’s his birthday and he would’ve been 87.
Going through my collection of photos from last year, I came upon a photo taken at a Dim Sum restaurant, with the family celebrating my father-in-law’s 86th birthday. He is surrounded by his grandchildren…
My father-in-law was a Mechanical Engineer who graduated from the Mapua Institute of Technology in The Philippines, and worked abroad in many countries: including Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Vietnam and the U.S. He retired early at age 50. Became a widower when my Mother-in-law died of breast cancer in 1989.
He spent many good years devoted to his family and early on taught the value of a college education to his beloved grandchildren…
[Above Photo, Left to Right] – Diana, Amanda, Cameron, Lolo Clem, Jordan, Alyssa, and Alex.
- Diana (25) – who just celebrated HER birthday yesterday, graduated from UC Berkeley with a degree in Architecture, and currently works as an Architect in Costa Rica and San Francisco. She plans on doing graduate studies soon.
- Amanda (20) – is currently in her 3rd year at Harvard studying Government and plans to study Law. We’ll be attending her graduation next year in 2010. And it just seemed like only yesterday when I attended her high school graduation!
- Cameron (20) – my oldest son, who is currently studying Biological Sciences at UC Riverside, wants to become a Doctor of Oncology and help in the fight against cancer.
- Jordan (16) – my youngest son, who is a Junior in high school right now, talks about studying engineering in college. He is passionately devoted to the Jr. ROTC, Bboy dancing, Xbox and Playstation.
- Alyssa – (7) – currently a 2nd grader, says she wants to become a doctor but at her age… too early to tell. She might become an astronaut. I am a little jealous of her Build-a-Bear collection and her report card!
- Alex – (15) – currently a freshman in high school, is the avid gamer and computer expert in the family. Not sure what he wants to be when he grows up but I’m sure it’ll involve computers and/or gaming.
My father-in-law is gone now. But, his spirit lives on… through his children, his grandchildren and all those who knew and loved him….
Happy Birthday to my father and friend! You are greatly missed!
. . . .
although my heart may be weak
it’s not alone
it’s grown with each new experience
and it’s found a home with all the friends i’ve made
i’ve become a part of their heart…
just as they’ve become a part of mine
and if they think of me now and then
if they don’t forget me…
then our hearts will be as one
—from Kingdom Hearts
You must log in to post a comment.